Monday, May 2, 2011

Is it a reflection or a reflex?

One day I discovered this cool thing where two phrases sound the same, look different, and mean completely different things. Curious? Okay, I'll share:

~Mere Reflex~

~Mirror Reflects~

How cool is that? I was super thrilled with my discovery, I'll have you know.

Now, I started thinking about this on a ..deeper level. Were the two phrases connected? If so, How? Here's what I came up with:

~The action of the mirror reflecting is merely a reflex.~

Yeah.

Isn't that cool? Not brilliant on my part or anything, but I was just observing how interesting and unusual it was that four words, two matching two, yet meaning completely different things, and, amusingly, explaining each other if you look at them right.

Maybe I'll come up with another one. (Is there a word for what I just did?)

Maybe you have ideas(?), or have done this yourself!(?)!! :D

1 comment:

Little Flower said...

That is cool, Grace! I occasionally stumble upon phrases like that and get super excited too. I guess its just amusing to find something that's just a bit below the surface, something we don't encounter every day. But now that I think about it I can't remember any :(