Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Murder, blood, and mythology

The Oresteia. Finished it!!! Now I'm a ways into Oedipus Rex, but that's beside the point. Goodness, this greek stuff is always gory, bloody, icky, and very interesting.... *eye roll*. Haha! No, but seriously - did they do anything besides killing each other, then having revenging murders, and then killing all over again?

It's kind of fun, in a way. I've always enjoyed reading mythology, especially Greek mythology. Here's a book we have:
I think part of my love for this book was the pretty pictures - admit it, they are amazing! But I also find it fascinating how there are so many similarities between mythology and Christianity - very different, but there are some connections. I haven't really studied up on this recently, or I would give you some examples. As it is, you'll just have to take my word for it or look into it yourself :)

Anyway, as I was saying, it's sort of fun reading these classics with all the little references to the stories in the mythology book, and all the different plays and books are connected somehow, and it makes me happy :D That's all, I guess...

2 comments:

Ivy said...

I looooooove Greek mythology, and I love that book!!! I also enjoyed finding the parallels between Christianity and the myths...the only one I can remember at the moment is a mention of a flood and an ark, which I think is pretty cool because it hads even more credibility that it actually happened. Not that I'm doubting the Bible... o.O lol

Have you ever read the Percy Jackson books? If you haven't, you really should - I think you'd very much enjoy them! They're some of my favorites!

Trudi Rose said...

I knew that you'd probably really enjoy these Greek books...unlike me :) I knew I was in trouble that first time I let you watch The Fellowship of the Ring when you were 8! Love ya Sis!