
Do you remember a few days ago when I revealed all my crazy plans to make a bunch of costumes? (If you don't, you can always scroll down the page...;) Okay, so on Monday I went into the sewing room and dug around in the fabric my mom had stashed there, and plotted and schemed on how I could make a dress with these random scraps that really weren't big enough by themselves. After deciding on which materials went together and I could actually use, I went to the pattern collection, and found what I thought would be the easiest patterns to adapt to what I wanted. (I drew up a rough design.) Oh, I should probably tell you I wanted to make a medieval sort of princess dress that was almost woodland-like. It's hard to describe, so sorry if you didn't really get that. Anyway, since I didn't have a dress pattern that even came close, I thought I'd make a skirt and then have a bit more freedom with the top. I used my favorite skirt patter, that is gored (meaning it has like - six panels or something like that) and it flips out at the bottom. Super cute. I lengthened it to floor length, and alternated colors for each panel, and ended up loving the result! It took me pretty much all day on Monday to sew it, but then that included the designing and designating process. (My 4-year-old nephew was visiting, and "helped" me for a while...I actually loved having him around while I was sewing. He was so cute! I'd let him pin little scraps together, and he picked out the thread colors, since I wasn't extremely fussy. Of course, he got bored after a while, and ran off to play, but it was fun while it lasted.)
On Tuesday I turned my attentions away from my completed skirt and worked on the top. I took a really long time deciding which pattern to use, and working out what I even wanted. In the end I used a new pattern, which was a bit risky, I thought. The alterations to this pattern included shaping the neckline differently, and instead of putting cuffs on the elbow-length sleeves, I added my own design of elvish sleeves. I also added a shawl-ish piece at the neck, to give it a more layered aspect. I had to rip apart an old dress of my mom's to get enough fabric, and figuring out a new pattern is always interesting, but I finished it, and sort of liked the end result, though not completely satisfied. However, it was evening, and I was tired, so I let it rest until the next day when I would be fresher.
Wednesday morning I made my elvish sleeves, and the shawl pieces. Then I had the fun of digging in the ribbon boxes and finding trimmings and flowers to embellish my creation. Oh, I almost forgot! I also pieced little pieces of the flowered fabric together to make a long belt. I needed this extra splash of color, and when worn, the belt is to be tied in a certain way so there is flowery fabric on the left side, since otherwise there wouldn't be. A little bit of a weird idea, I realize, but Hey! This is my dress, isn't it? My finishing touch was a lacy-ribbon headband with a freshly glued flower sewed onto it. I celebrated the completion of this bit of fun by trying it all on and having a photo shoot! Here are a couple of my favorites :)

No comments:
Post a Comment