



Wow. This last week has been crAzY!!! First of all, I have been practicing and practicing for about 2-3 months on the piano, trying to learn music for a wedding my brother, sister, and myself were asked to play and sing for. Wow. I hadn't done that before. Needless to say, I was very nervous, and diligently practiced the songs until I could play them, and then continued to practice until I could play them fluently enough to accompany people singing, and then kept practicing so hopefully I wouldn't completely fall apart at the actual wedding! It really was fun. I am so much more comfortable playing piano now! I'm better at sight reading, and accompanying, and just, well, playing. :)
Anyway, on Saturday the wedding day arrived, and I must say it went smoothly, and I feel quite good about it. Of course I made mistakes, and apparently the electricity went off for a couple of seconds right before the communion meditation, (I didn't notice...not sure how that happened...) but nothing to noticeable or disastrous happened.
Three days before the wedding I started making the dress I wanted to wear for it. I know, a bit last minute. Especially for something I sort of designed myself. Yeah. I did get it done on time though! (the morning of the day I wanted to wear it..) And, I have NEVER been SO pleased with one of my sewing projects! I couldn't have imagined it turning out any better, and that is saying a lot, and I'm hoping this doesn't come off as sounding conceited or boastful, but I am very happy with it! Here's how it came about:
I found some fabric in my mom's fabric cupboard. Really pretty fabric. I had seen it before, actually, since it had been purchased for the purpose of fairy costumes in A Midsummer Night's Dream last summer. Obviously, this fabric did not see use in that play. As I pulled it frothy delightsomeness around, the wheels of my mind began to turn. What if, could it be possible, how would it be to make a dress with this? I sat down and drew a dress that I thought would be very cool in this fabric. Now, the dress I drew was a bit fanciful, having a rather wood nymph/faery-ish look about it. I really like it, though the shredded look of the skirt probably wouldn't happen. (and didn't ;)
The second part of my scheme was to figure out how to make this dress happen, by finding a pattern somewhat close to what I wanted. I found a New Look pattern that I really liked because of the sleeves, and the rest of the dress had similarities. I also found some beautiful lining fabric, as the faery fabric(as we shall call it from now on) was semi-sheer. I used the pattern for the bodice, the lining, and the sleeves, with a few adjustments, such as double lining, lining the sleeves (because the hem on those wouldn't work) and adjusting the neckline to the shape in my drawing. I used a completely different pattern for the skirt, and added a piece into it, since I wanted a skirt that was almost full circle. When I tried the dress on, when it was almost done, I was disturbed that the straps felt like slipping off my shoulders. I was not comfortable with this, so I had the idea of making some very skinny little strips and criss-crossing them to hold the straps together in the back, so there was no way the straps could fall off! I felt like a genious. It not only worked, but looked extremely pretty!
As the the sunshine in the title, it seemed like it was raining forever, and the sun has been shining for the past few days, and is lending a very joyous serenity to my now-peaceful summer days.
I thought I'd try posting a few pictures of my dress that makes my feel like a faerie princess, so maybe you can start to understand what I was talking about before :)
No comments:
Post a Comment