Okay, I realize that I have not posted at all lately...I guess I didn't really know what to talk about, but I think we can safely suppose that from now on I will be quite chatty on here. Anyway, right now I want to tell you about my new costume project that I am planning! As you might know, or probably don't know, I have been involved in theater projects ever since I can remember, and a little while before that. :) It's kind of one of my passions. We have this lovely community theater in my town, called the Prairie Arts Center. My mom and I have spent a LOT of time there. I'll have to give you our theater history another day, though. Today I am really excited about my plan to make at least 12 costumes, just to have. I have been sewing for about 8 years now, and I love to design clothes and once in a while I actually make them! I have always enjoyed playing "dress up" more than anything...especially with old fashioned clothes.
A couple of days ago my Mom brought home this trunk. It was full of old hats, and this lady said we could use them at the theater, as well as the trunk. Well, I am telling you now, I totally kept that trunk! Right now it is airing out (hopefully) as it reeked of mothballs. Really nasty smell. I kind of like that smell, but I don't want it in my trunk. :) So, I am going to paint and polish and fix this lovely trunk (did I mention it even has a key? that WORKS! Totally one of my favorite parts) I might even try to get my brother to make a tray for it, because it doesn't have one and I might need one. When I feel that my work on the trunk is complete, I will then fill it up with costumes! Made by me.
I have been sketching costumes that I really want to make and have. Here's a list of some of my ideas:
1. Elven dress, with those cool sleeves that almost reach the floor...
2. Shieldmaiden dress (basically the outfit Eowyn wears in the Return of the King, on the mountain, if that helps)
3. Princess dress...really elegant.
4. Jester costume. If you've read Ivanhoe, you'll probably know who Wamba is. I just
love him. He's hilarious! So, I want to research what he would really have been wearing and make my own. Complete with hat. :)
5. Hobbit costume. shirt, vest, pants, and cape! My mom asked my about hairy feet, but I think I'll leave those to the imagination..we'll see.
6. Jane Austen dress. Not my favorite style by any means, but I do love those books! And they are pretty.
7. Peasant maiden dress. Wow. I have wanted one of these for Such a long time! You know...simple blouse, cinched-up vest thing, gathered up skirt over a longer skirt...I LOVE this look!!
8. Pirate costume. Yes, I am a huge Pirates of the Caribbean fan.
9. Dress with hoop skirt. Have you seen little women? One of those styles, I think. Of course, I would have to find a hoop...:D
10. Prairie dress. I used to actually live in these when I was little. Calico, buttons, ooo..maybe a bonnet. Lovely huge apron. Ahhh, yes.
11. Diva dress. Who wouldn't want that? Sparkles, glitter, glitz, resplendently dazzling in appearence, ooooohhhhhyeaah.
12. A cape/cloak. One of my favorite things in this world is a good cape that just flows. You can wear a cloak over a dress while going to a party, or cape when you are being a hero and fighting off darkness. Or, lurking in the shadows, like a wraith, hiding your face in the large drape-y hood so no one know who the shadow is, or running in the wind with your mantle rippling in the breeze ... you get the idea. I want one. :D
So, those are my plans so far. I won't be starting just yet, sadly, but when I do, trust me, there will be pictures and descriptions. Meanwhile I will be looking for unique fabrics that are in no way expensive, as well as patterns, and drawing more. I am SO excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment