Sunday, March 21, 2010

Organ-ic Thoughts

Whew. Today I tried out my organ playing skills at mass! Overall I think it went pretty well. Working with the singer was a little interesting, but we overcame most of the obstacles and it sounded nice. (Obstacles like my going slower that normal people do, and him wanting to sing it faster than I was playing...oh, and figuring out how to transpose it to a lower key...and all that kind of stuff...)

So, I think the practice beforehand was the hardest part. Of course, playing for mass was very nerve wracking. I was very nervous. My hands were cold, so in order to be able to play, in between playing hymns I would be rubbing my hands together in order to make circulation happen in my fingers. (They looked purple...rather alarming...) Also, when I'm nervous and sitting, my legs tend to jump up and down...I have a problem relaxing. So, I think it was a good thing I wasn't attempting to play the pedals yet...if I had, I know it would have been an epic failure...haha. As it was, my fingering was a little interesting at least once in each song...including the mass parts that are like...4 measure long. I almost died during the gospel acclamation..but I didn't, and kept playing. I think it was my proudest moment.

At the end of mass the cantor totally embarrassed me by thanking me for the entire congregation there...I rather wished he hadn't done that. The one really nice thing was that people are excited to have another organist for the church, since there were only two. Also, I get $25 for playing one mass...I totally deserve it ( :D), of course, because I practiced today's hymns for like...3 weeks.

My next goal is to recruit some other young people in the church to sing. I don't know how long I can handle the couple of older guys...maybe once in a while an older lady...just because they are used to what they do, and I'm not used to being the organist. (I've been the cantor, so it was easier than one would think..)However, working with someone my own age (that I know:?) would most likely be more fun.

So, now I play organ. Wooo!!! I can tell you what I'll be doing for the next 2 1/2 years!!! playing organ. Ha! Oh well, it's kinda fun in a way.

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Hi (: hey, where did you get your background because it is really cool!! Just a question.. if you could comment back on my blog that'd be cool because my blog is kind of sad (: