Okay, so I've known the story of The Lord of the Rings for about as long as I can remember. I watched the Fellowship of the Ring when I was 8 years old, and even though my older sister tried to fast forward through the scary parts, I made her rewind the movie again so I could watch the wizard fight. I hadn't read the books yet, I am afraid, but I did read them before I saw the 2nd and third movies. I am in love with Middle Earth and if I could go there, I so would. I used to dress up as a hobbit (complete with elven cloak and wooden dagger/sword) and put an imitation "one ring" on a chain around my neck, find a walking stick, and set off through the woods to destroy evil forever. Somehow on the journey I would switch from Frodo to Aragorn and begin defeating orcs and trolls, and then I was Eowyn, storming out of the castle and letting the wind whip my hair around as I tried to save my people from destruction. I can't even remember how many numerous times I have stood at the edge of the roaring fires of Mount Doom, dangling the ring out, needing to drop it, yet holding back, until finally I would soar away on an eagle with Legolas shooting down anything that could come after me.
Now, I realize that all of that is not at all the order of things and that I was definately playing around, but my point is that life in Middle Earth is very important to me, and I love the story of the Ring, and the hobbits that save the world.
I have never really tried to make up my own story in Middle Earth. I guess if I was to make up a character for myself, I would be an Elvish maiden with long blond hair, awesome sword-fighting skills, and a precision with the bow and arrow that would make Legolas jealous. Of course I would also be highly intelligent, and wear clothes of the most elegant material, and have a lilting, birdlike voice that could bring a cave troll into a swoon, so he'd turn to stone in the sunlight.
The one flaw with my character, is that I would have the hardest time naming her. I love naming things, but I don't like deciding on a name. Does that make any sense at all?
Oh, and super-awesome-warrior-elfmaid would have an alternative identity as a hobbit living peacefully in a burrow when times were peaceful, kind and gracious, and always cooking the best food and serving the best ale. But beware of her when the world is at war!
No comments:
Post a Comment