Saturday, April 16, 2011

And it was only the dress rehearsal...

Yesterday I had my first experience of running a dress rehearsal with all 30 kids from 1 of the towns I teach dance in...SCARY!!! No, really. I'm a rather shy, quiet person, (until you really know me, that is) so getting up and speaking loud enough for all the chattering people to hear me was practically impossible (especially since I have this nasty cold that made me almost lose my voice..no, this is not a good combination!)
Anyway...I said enough to get the job done, I guess, and we ran rehearsal. (I have an awesome assistant who knows that I can not get people's attention on my own, so she waits till I'm ready, and yells at everyone to be quiet, and then I find that everyone is suddenly staring at me...yikes!)

Okay, so first I just had individual rehearsals with each class - figuring out where they stand and where they come from, going over a couple of steps, etc. I felt so important!!! It was rather an exultant feeling. I was the person in charge - nobody else was! And in a way I liked it, because that meant that any grand success, while really only possible with the help of others, was mainly a success because of me. Everything was done to my orders. POWER!! muhahaha... ;)

To continue my narration; after these rehearsals, we ran a full dress rehearsal - in order, coming from downstairs/backstage, and attempting smoothness. I thought it went SO GREAT!!! (my mom was downstairs...apparently that was chaos. I have no idea how she managed it, really. I'm upstairs- stage right, and my assistant is on the other side, so we can manage when the girls go on and off and such.)

Some mothers were wondering where us teachers were - my mom told them we were backstage helping their daughters. Haha! I was like, "where does she think we should be?" Apparently one mother thought we should be out front dancing in front of at least the preschoolers because they forget their dance. Are you kidding me? What is the point of a recital if the kids can't do it by themselves?!?! I am not going to be dancing in front of them. There would have to be a much larger paycheck. Just sayin'. ;) (and besides, the one little girl totally knew the dance. This lady's daughter could have paid attention in class, and maybe she wouldn't be embarrassed now. Again, Just Sayin'. )

I'm now freaking out about Sunday, when their real recital is, and then right after their recital, town number 2 - with 47 girls - is going to enter the scene and we have to try to do everything we did on Friday in an hour & a half and then go right into their recital! Yes, it will be crazy. And it's tomorrow. !!! Oh dear.

1 comment:

Trudi Rose said...

I'm just going to leave now to come see your recital! I can't wait to see all the little girls dancing :) Love you sis!