I hadn't realized how much I craved this tranquility of mind and body until I began exploring it the other day. Taking a walk and allowing myself to be distracted by every beautiful thing that caught my eye was swiftly proclaimed my new favorite way to pass an afternoon.
So when I saw my Sunday afternoon open, a clear sky framing a smiling sun, and a delightful book waiting for my attention, I was only too thrilled to pack an impromptu picnic and drive down to the lake again.
This time I didn't wander, but quickly selected a bench that seemed idyllic in its location for view and access to sun, then settled in for an afternoon of serenity and calm.
Alternating reading - becoming immersed in the dear story of "Emily of New Moon" by L.M. Montgomery - with gazing out across the water and allowing my own thoughts to traverse realms unexplored has been the perfect 'day of rest'.
I didn't listen to music or check my phone every two minutes, but allowed the sounds of birds and wind, passing people and cars, to pervade my senses alongside the wafting aromas of blooming trees all around.
The stillness and beauty of my surroundings were so invigorating, so intoxicating, that I was loathe to uproot myself and return to my apartment. Dear as my little home is, I am rediscovering what was well-known to me in my youth - being surrounded by nature and the glorious beauty of God's creation is my favorite place to be, and I do not intend to forget that again.
So, if you are reading this, dare yourself to try a sample of my newfound serenity: find an outdoor corner of the world and just allow yourself to sit for a while - preferably an hour or two - and watch your worries fade away in the glory of the sunshine.
"'This is one of the places where dreams grow,' said Emily happily."
~L.M. Montgomery, Emily of New Moon










No comments:
Post a Comment