Friday, May 18, 2012

What you don't expect when you're Mowing...

It was a deliciously sunny, hot, breezy day - not exactly perfect for mowing the lawn since it's so windy that the grass clipping kept blowing into my eyes (SO not pleasant!), but despite such minor discomforts, it was really quite enjoyable! Plus, I flatter myself that I do a really neat & somewhat pretty job on the lawn, so I took pleasure in that, too, as I rode about on the Husqvarna, clipping the green growth to an even length...

Then something highly unusual occurred.

As I angled the mower towards a part of the yard that is near the road, I glanced up to see a lovely, tall, brown horse cantering over the field across the road - directly towards me!

At first I didn't react. I was like "Oh, cool - there's a horse. Pretty..." and just kept mowing for a few seconds while this sunk it.

Then I was like "Wait! Why is there a horse?!!?!?" (by now the horse was prancing on the road, about 30 feet away from me) "Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen."

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with horses, so I was not about to attempt to catch what by now was obviously a runaway horse - especially not without knowing how tame it was.

So what do I do?

I'll tell you, I turned my mower around and sped away back up towards the house.

Yep. Mowing all the way.

I eventually thought about this sensibly, parked the mower and ran the rest of the way.

The rest of the story is fairly uneventful - I found Mom out back, trimming the grass around the house, and yelled at her "There is NOT supposed to be a HORSE on the ROAD!!!" (yeah, I think that's pretty much exactly what I said) and she looked at me, all confused, and said eloquently; "huh!??" so then I explained, she ran around the house (going around the most inefficient way possible to get inside), called Dad, then called the radio station to report that a crazy horse was walking along down the busy U.S. highway...doesn't seem exactly safe  - or it wouldn't be, except that what is normally a fatally busy highway just happens to be closed for road construction right now, so the horse was probably not really being as silly as one might think at first...

This is where my story concludes. I went back to mowing, the horse kept walking until it went over the hill and was out of sight, and the last I heard was the the highway patrol people were driving along beside it, wondering what to do, since apparently no one knows yet who the horse belongs to.

I personally think this is all quite hilarious.

Epically amusing.

Stimulating cachinnation...

Yeah, you get the idea. I'm laughing. :)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow sounds like a lot of fun! (I agree that having grass clippings in your face is annoying and not fun)