Saturday, March 24, 2012

Conclusion of the Classics

Congratulate me, my dear friends, I have completed my Classics course of study!!!

Now, I did not end up reading the 30 or so books that were on my original plan, since it soon became apparent that it would be nearly impossible for me to read that many books and still maintain sanity whilst attempting to do all the other things I find important, so I cut and slashed the list until I ended up with this final count:

  1. Homer - The Iliad and The Odyssey
  2. Aeschylus - The Oresteia
  3. Sophocles - Oedipus Rex
  4. Euripides - The Bacchae, Hippolytus
  5. Aristophanes - Comedies; Peace, Birds
  6. Virgil - The Aeneid
  7. Augustine - The Confessions
  8. Beowolf
  9. Dante - The Divine Comedy
  10. Charles Dickens - Great Expectations
  11. Geroge Eliot - Middlemarch
  12. Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 
So there you have it! I finished "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" just on Monday. And yesterday I finished reading the book "Invitation to the Classics", which has been my guide-book throughout this course. While I didn't read all of the books, I did read about all the books, as well as the essays on different styles of literature. So I'm feeling really good about my accomplishments. :)

So what now? Well, I'm still going to be reading! Not the 'Classics' anymore, but moving on to what I've always viewed as the 'Classics of my family', books that my older siblings had read, loved, and wished me to read. I started "The Silmarillion" in February, and it's been sitting on my desk, waiting for me to finish with other things so I can continue my spellbound perusal of its admirable contents. So excited to continue!

So, I guess you'll have to wait and see what else I read and such! I'm so close to completing my school work, and I'm planning all sorts of fun things for my graduation party...most importantly at the moment - scrapbooks!!! I've never made any before, so I'm very excited :) :) :)


"People, in general," he said, "only ask advice not to follow it; or if they do follow it, it is for the sake of having someone to blame for having given it."  ~The Three Musketeers  (Alexandre Dumas)

"This notion of an immolated gnat delights me!" ~The Birds (Aristophanes)

"They were now swarming down over the rocks, like an army of Gollums with uncanny agility." ~Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series) (Lisa T. Bergren)




No comments: