Sunday, September 27, 2015

Daring to live

Can you believe that September is almost gone already? This semester is just FLYING by - it feels like we just started last week!

I know the saying is "time flies when you are having fun," and I certainly am having fun times. Sometimes, though, I'm so busy that I forget that I'm getting to do what I love and that I'm learning a lot. It's good to remember that every once in a while. It helps with the motivation!

It seems unreal that this is my last year doing my undergraduate work...next year I have no idea where I'll be and it can be quite unnerving at times. Honestly, whenever someone asks "what will you be doing after you graduate?" I sort of want to scream and fly away in a puff of smoke.

That seems a bit unrealistic, though, so I just shrug and give the honest answer "I don't know."

Okay, but think about it. Do you ever really know where you'll be one year from today? No. You can assume that you'll either still be doing the same thing or you'll be doing something different, but you can't truly know for sure.

This makes me think that I don't need to know, either. Everything will work out.

I hope.

It's hard to trust in that sometimes, but I have to accept that trusting is all I can do at this point.

I had a little creative fit a week or so ago (can't remember exactly when...) and decorated the big empty wall in my room. It turned out way better than I had anticipated, and it makes me much happier in my space.

"Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself."

I couldn't get far enough away to get the whole thing in the picture - sorry!

After sorting through a number of possibilities, I chose this quote because I think it's what I need to keep telling myself. There are a number of messages that I take from it. 

Dare to live. 
Dare to dream. 
Live for yourself. 
Dream for yourself. 
Dare to dream of the life that you want. 
Dare to live that dream to the fullest. 

And so on. 

It helps, because right now I often grow afraid of the future, or begin telling myself to narrow my possibilities because I don't have as many capabilities, etc. 

I am pretty much my own worst enemy. 

Oh, I've been told over the years that I am my worst critic. It's true, I am hard on myself. But lately it's gotten to the point where I am holding myself back, and I need to let myself shine, grow, dream.

The only person who can insist that I be happy and peaceful is me, and it's time to start making the effort and live my life and dream wildly - for life is beautiful, and there are beautiful dreams to be had.


"Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson



No comments: