Monday, February 2, 2015

A Triad of Beauty

I have a few minutes before I run back out into the cold to find a baby grand piano for me to practice on, so I thought I'd drop a few words of happiness here with a triad of beautiful things.

#1: Old friends.



I happened upon this picture from when I was home for Christmas. As we all scrambled to get the house decorated, I took the time to dust off my dear American Girl dolls, Kit and Sally, and dressed them up so Mom could set them near the tree for fun.

Just to make for a cute picture, I tucked Gloria (my fake sleeping cat that scares people she looks so real) in to make it look like the little girls were having a fun conversation.

The beautiful part? I spent so much time playing with these two dolls as a little girl. They both have their own personalities and hold a special place in my heart.

#2: New toys!



Today I checked my mail - as I have been obsessively doing for the past week - and finally got the orange slip that told me I had a package! As soon as I picked up the package I opened it to draw out this beautiful new extension of my arm - my very first conductor's baton!

Yes, I am taking my first conducting class ever this semester, and while I don't have any aspirations of becoming the world's best conductor (or even conductor...) it is one of my favorite classes and I have been looking forward to having this required item. It's purple! (although the picture makes it look pink.)

#3: Performance Jitters



This week my school is having it's annual winter music show, where people audition with acts and those that get in perform three shows in a cozy atmosphere with pie and hot chocolate. It's one of my favorite events in the year, and this time I was thrilled to be allowed to perform in two different acts! One is a piece I'm performing with my trio - Beyonce's "Ave Maria" in three-part harmonies with piano, cello and cajun. It's so beautiful I get chills while we sing it! The second act is just me by myself, singing and playing piano for Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights." This is a piece I learned back in high school while I read Emily Bronte's unsettling novel by that title, and I've been looking forward to getting it ready for people to hear. It's a bit...creepy. But oh, so fun!

So that's this week...lots has been going on, of course, but I like to pry out a few little blips that might otherwise be overlooked as I rush about my daily busynesses. Now I'd better go practice piano! These fingers have to get ready for a recital in April!



"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning." ~Albert Einstein 

No comments: