Monday, July 21, 2014

A Dizzy Fairy

Saturday was a busy day, full of cleaning and rehearsing and cooking. Later in the afternoon, I was about to get ready for church and I decided to play with my hair. Twisting up the sides into a ponytail, I flipped it and then tucked the pony in to make a soft up-do. Then, since I was really playful, I tried pinning a string of beads leftover from my brother's wedding into my hair. It turned out almost perfectly! I know if I ever needed my hair to look like that I wouldn't be able to come close, but in that moment it was exciting. 

Once I showed my mom and sister my look, they insisted I should wear my green dress - a fairy-like ensemble. I was reluctant at first, since it seemed a bit decadent for a Saturday evening Mass, but it seemed fun so I tried it on. The hair and dress were too coordinated to not wear it, so I left it and went to Mass and played organ with gusto. 

Upon returning home, however, it was decided that Trudi and I should have an impromptu photo shoot with the trees in the background. Braving the mosquitos was a daring move, but we had a fun - if brief - time and Trudi captured some fabulous shots! 

Another reason I like these pictures so much is that I made this dress when I was about 16 years old, and haven't ever had really good pictures of it. Getting it in action was exciting! 

An indoor shot of the hair and back of the dress. 

The lighting was ideal in this spot, and it wasn't too hard to imagine myself in a fairy-realm. 

Twirling was necessary, since the dress has a full-circle skirt with lining! A lot of love and devotion went into the construction and hand-sewing of this dress. 

I may have gotten a bit dizzy, but it was fun and I absolutely love how this picture shows off the sleeves, skirt, back detail, and hair-do. 

"Nature never did betray
The heart that loved her."
~William Wordsworth

No comments: