Saturday, February 16, 2013

Shabby Dreams

Greetings! It has been far too long since I posted, and I apologize to anyone who missed me :)
Hopefully I'll be able to be more consistent in the future.

Quick update on my life: I'm over a month into my second semester of college, I've been thriving as a music major with three music-related classes, two non-music related classes, choir, piano and voice lessons, and awesome friends that I do crazy things with like...watching movies and staying up for dance marathons...

Yep, that was last night. I had a great time dancing to oldie music until 3 in the morning!

But we're not going to talk about my current life today.

No, I've been dreaming big dreams, and today this blog is going to share some of those dreams, because I think they are lovely, and thinking about them makes me happy.

First, the shabby country chic dream.

I'm sure many of you have seen the summer-y style of clothing that sort of goes by the 'shabby' title - it involves lots of denim and lace, floral prints and crochet. It's delicate and beautiful, and I want it!

Yes, it has become a sort of obsession the past few days. I've been going to town on Pinterest, finding inspiration, and plotting about how I can make this style happen this summer. It's going to involve some sewing, thrifting, and most likely some new purchases, but it'll be so. much. fun!

So that's one dream.

Next up, the Fairy Tale immersion. Okay, immersion isn't quite the right word, but it'll work for now. I have a plot up my sleeve for coming up with different settings and creating costumes, and making my sister use her new camera to take beautiful pictures replicating/reminiscing of popular fairy tale stills. For example, Sleeping Beauty: sleeping, obviously, with flowers and pretty fabrics. Or Snow White, holding a perfect apple...maybe a before and after - before: holding the apple, about to bite. after: passed out on the ground, hand pointing to the apple, now missing a bite....

Oh, I am feeling very dramatic about this, and I think it'll be a gloriously fun summer project!

Speaking of Fairy Tales. Because I'm obsessed, I'd like to explain my current obsession. I've recently read the third book in a series by Melanie Dickerson - this third book was titled "The Fairest Beauty", and was based on the fairy tale 'Snow White. Set in medieval Germany, her stories make me very happy and have beautiful descriptions of clothes, scenery, and historical tidbits that add interest.

Okay, I'm not very good at summarizing, and I'm sorry - just take my word for it that they are amazing! I'm so grateful my sister Trudi suggested I read the first one, because my life has been a more beautiful place ever since.

Hey, it's the small things in life.

Okay, so those are my two little ideas that I'm dreaming about these days, and now I've shared the core of the idea, I can try to expand on those ideas from time to time. Already counting down the weeks until summer, when I can sew and imagine and dress up and dream even more without stressing about homework and classes and remembering everything.

Because college is stressful, even though this semester I've been working really hard to not let the stress take over, because life is too short to be panicking all the time. And so far it's been going really well, I think! But I need to keep positive with lovely ideas like fairy tales and lace and Jane Austen tea parties that I look forward to with my mom and sister, because those are a few of the things that truly make me happy.

Getting in the mood of these dreams, I've been listening to a lot of country music, which makes me even more impatient for summer to get here, and today I started working on a fairy tale playlist, began with two songs by Taylor Swift, "Love Story" and "Enchanted" - it's amazing how perfectly those two songs encompass my feelings for fairy tales...

Found this picture while looking for inspiration - so pretty!

You can listen to/watch the video for Love Story here.

“Fairy tale does not deny the existence of sorrow and failure: the possibility of these is necessary to the joy of deliverance. It denies (in the face of much evidence, if you will) universal final defeat...giving a fleeting glimpse of Joy; Joy beyond the walls of the world, poignant as grief.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

"This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you" ~Taylor Swift, Enchanted

No comments: